Monday, October 13, 2008

A Typical Class

I've spent a lot of time talking about how great eChineseLearning, but I haven't gone too much in depth with how the class actually operates.

Despite what level of class you choose, all teachers will have a pre-determined lesson plan. They will given a typical 课文,which will start with a list of vocabulary that will be used, followed by short passages and short exercises to demonstrate how the new vocabulary will be used. Grammar lessons are also included. You spend time reading along and repeating after the teacher, followed by going through the exercise meant to help emphasize what you have learned.

So what am I doing on my end? Meaning, what do I do on the computer while class is in session? Usually I'll have multiple useful web sites open. At the time, I was using zhongwen.com and world.altavista.com as tools for class.

I primarily use zhongwen.com for looking up words I don't know, and world.altavista.com to translate phrases I don't understand. Unfortunately, I initially had to spend a LOT of time using these two web sites. My Mandarin was so pour at the time I just couldn't keep up at times.

But despite all my problems, you know what was the most important thing? My teacher was very patient with me. She never got frustrated if it took her 10 times to explain something to me. She stuck with me until I understood. Otherwise I might have already lost faith in myself.

No comments: