Monday, October 6, 2008

Starting eChineseLearning

Around September of 2007, I signed up for eChineseLearning after a colleague had referred it to me. At first it was hard. I knew how to read pinyin and a limited amount of characters, but I COULD NOT speak. But the initial shock was the method of teaching using technology. I've never really used Skype as a teaching tool before. The teachers use video and voice to teach you. It's also a 1-on-1 course, which does help a lot because you get complete attention for the entire duration of class.

I could not use English. That was the rule. Typing in English was okay if I needed help, but I had to force myself to use Mandarin, even if I struggled. Even if I could only utter a few sentences in one class, it didn't matter. It had to be in Mandarin. It was hard, even though I already have a Chinese background. However, I always lacked the experience of keeping a conversation Mandarin. At the time, I also lacked the confidence.

Two months into it I almost felt like quitting, but a good friend convinced me to stick around, and I'm glad I did. My first real test came when I visited Cambodia to see my relatives in Janurary the following year in 2008. This was ultimately the turning point for me. More on that in the next blog!

No comments: